SOUTH GREEN (including Constitution Hill)

There is evidence that South Green was the original heart of the town, centred on the town hall located on the site of the former Salt Office.

There are three interactive panoramas for South Green. marked

on the map below


 


South Green today

South Green in the early 1900s looking towards the High Street. (Southwold Museum P2589)
Click on the picture for an enlargement.

South Green east side in the 1920s.
from a postcard in the Robert Palmer collection, reproduced by kind permission of Margaret Palmer.
Click the picture to enlarge.

Constitution Hill in 1928
from a postcard in the Robert Palmer collection, reproduced by kind permission of Margaret Palmer.
Click the picture to enlarge.

Constitution Hill in 1950
from a postcard in the Robert Palmer collection, reproduced by kind permission of Margaret Palmer.
Click the picture to enlarge.