Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 56 High Street (Sutherland House)
 

Grade II Listed, Sutherland House is one of the most ancient and historically interesting houses in Southwold, with a late medieval timber frame and 15th century structure and with an early 19th century facade. It is particularly noted for its heavily ornamented 17th Century plaster ceilings which were reputedly installed when The Duke of York (later James II) made his base here during the Anglo/ Dutch wars (1665-1674).

In Elizabethan times, this was the home of a wealthy merchant Thomas Camell, who gave his name to the adjacent 'Camel's Lane' , now called Victoria Street. The name 'Sutherland House' is relatively recent, dating from the 19th Century when it was the home of a retired Scottish surgeon, John Sutherland, who became one of the town's first mayors.

1896
Mary Anne Denny (Minnie) - Principal, Girls' Boarding School. (K1896). Mary Ann (age 33) is a daughter of William Denny, the tailor who runs Denny & Son at No 11 Market Place. Sutherland House is not just a conventional boarding school; it also bills itself as a "Seaside Home" to which "Delicate Children Requiring Sea Air [are] Received by the Week."

In addition to running a school, Minnie has a workshop creating what she calls 'Art Needlework' for sale.

Note: Although Kelly's records this as a Girls' Boarding School, it is clear from the school photos, right, that it also admits boys, at least as day pupils.


1901
Mary Anne Denny (Minnie) - Principal, Girls' Day and Boarding School. At the 1901 Census only four boarders are recorded, together with a governess and a servant. (C1901, K1908).


 
1911
Mary Anne Denny (Minnie) - Principal, Girls' Day and Boarding School. The school has expanded somewhat. It now boasts a music mistress, a French mistress and a 'Useful Help' yet only three boarders are recorded at the 1911 census. Presumably day pupils represent the majority. (C1911, K1916).

 

Mary Anne Denny (Minnie) - Principal, Girls' Day and Boarding School.

B Granville
- Antiques, Oriental embroidery, jewellery dealer. At some time in the early 1920s, Minnie Denny closes her school and lets most of the ground floor to Mr B Granville who runs it as an antiques shop. Minnie continues to own the freehold and retains one room where she continues to run her 'Art Needlework' workshop. The artefacts she produces are sold in Granville's shop.(SCTG1922) See Joint Denny/Granville advertisement right.

After a time Mr Granville has a single-storey building constructed in the garden as Minnie's workshop, thus creating more space for his antiques.. See Garden Room.


 

1930
B Granville - Antiques and Curios (SPM1930, K1933, K1937, SRB1937).



1944
B Granville - Antiques and Curios (SRB1944)

Note: Anecdotal reports suggest that Minnie married Mr Granville in her 80s but probate records confirm that Minnie Denny remained a spinster all her life. However the two did apparently develop a close relationship. Granville appears to have acquired the freehold of the house from her and, not long afterwards, to have sold it. Minnie died in the Sun Nursing Home in Hotson Road in 1948.

1945
W T Windeler - Sutherland House Restaurant (SRB1945)


 

1953
W T Windeler - Sutherland House Restaurant and Tea Rooms (CSP1953, SRB1954)


W T Windeler - Sutherland House Restaurant and Tea Rooms (See Forum comment below)

 

1972
J S Jones - Sutherland House Restaurant (SER1972)

 

? Paul & Margaret Samaine - (Dates?)

1987
Mr & Mrs J P Wiggins - Sutherland House Restaurant. (SST1987)


 

Date?
Steven & Linda Cornell (Trading as Sole Bay Hospitality Ltd) - Sutherland House Hotel and Restaurant.


 
 

2000
Steven & Linda Cornell (Trading as Sole Bay Hospitality Ltd) - Sutherland House Hotel and Restaurant.(TTR2000)

2005
'Orangeree' - Carvery restaurant. The owners of this short-lived venture also opened a leatherwear shop in the Garden Room.

2006
Peter & Anna Banks - relaunch Sutherland House as a 'Boutique Hotel and High Qualty Restaurant'.

2014
Andy Rudd - The manager of Sutherland House takes over the ownership of the business in May this year. He runs it primarily as a seafood restaurant.


   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.



Sutherland House in 1896 (Southwold Museum P1479) Click the picture to enlarge.

Minnie Denny with her dog outside Sutherland House School. Date possibly 1890s.

Photo courtesy of Mary Grace Denny

Click the picture to enlarge

Portrait photo of Minnie Denny. Simiar date?

Photo courtesy of Mary Grace Denny

Click the picture to enlarge

A group of Miss Denny's pupils pose in the garden at Sutherland House in c 1890.
From 'Bygones and Local Characters of Southwold' by Barrett Jenkins. Reproduced with permission of his daughter, Ann Thornton.
Click the picture to enlarge.

Another group photo in the garden probably in the early 1900s.
Photo courtesy of Mary Grace Denny

Click the picture to enlarge

Also probably early 1900s

Photo courtesy of Mary Grace Denny

Click the picture to enlarge



1900 advertisement appearing in Jarrold's Illustrated Guide to Southwold.

Two French teachers at the school

Photo courtesy of Mary Grace Denny

Click picture to enlarge

Minnie's Art Needlework workshop at Sutherland House. Estimated around 1900.

Photo courtesy of Mary Grace Denny

Click picture to enlarge


Joint advertisement for Miss Denny and Mr Granville in the 1922 edition of Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide.
Click the image to enlarge


Mid 1920s advertisement in Southwold Town Guide.
Courtesy of Heather Osmer

Sutherland House in 1970s when it was run by J S Jones
Picture courtesy of Harry Griggs
Click the image to enlarge