Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 1 Barnaby Green - High Street
 

This combined house and shop was built in the early 1900s by James Charles Winter who also ran a grocery business at No 18 High Street. It stands on the corner of the High Street and Barnaby Green. Today the postal address is No 1 Barnaby Green but, in 1916, soon after it was built, it was listed in Kelly's Directory as No 23 High Street, an address which now applies to part of The King's Head. In later editions Kelly's abandons this designation, simply giving its address as 'High Street'
.

Early 1900s
James Charles Winter - Confectioner. (K1916). When he left the Navy, still in his early 30s, James Charles Winter bought the row of dilapidated cottages on the corner of the High Street and Barnaby Green and demolished them. In their place he built his shop and adjacent home for himself and his wife, Eve, which he called 'Vulcan House' in honour of HMS Vulcan, the torpedo depot ship on which he had served.

James also starts a grocery business across the road at No 18 High Street.


 
James Charles Winter - Confectioner.
 
James Charles Winter - Confectioner.

J B Harris recalls ("Memories of Southwold 1920 - 1939"): "When we were small, the only sweet shop we were allowed to go to was Winter's ... He sold healthy boiled sweets. Toffee, nougat and, worse still, sherbet dabs and fountains which were strictly forbidden." With thanks to Mary Harris for permission to quote from this unpublished memoir.

 

1937
James Charles Winter - Confectioner.(K1937)

James Charles Winter - Confectioner.

George and Dulcie Cockrill - Confectioners. George arrives in Southwold with the Royal Navy in the 1940s. He marries Dulcie Leach and they initially rent the confectionery shop from JC Winter. The Winters continue to live in Vulcan House next door. James Winter dies in 1947.



 

George and Dulcie Cockrill have now bought the business but Eve Winter retains the freehold of the premises. She dies in 1962.


George and Dulcie Cockrill - Confectioners

 

George and Dulcie Cockrill - Confectioners. George is the last Mayor of Southwold Corporation before the town loses its borough status with the reform of local government in 1974.


 

Date
Jack Richardson & Dulcie Cockrill - Do-it-yourself hardware store.Following George Cockrill's death, his widow goes into partnership with Jack Richardson who has previously worked at Mumford's hardware store
No 66 High Street. (LM)

Date
Mr Johnson - Art and picture framing
(LM)


 

1993
John Bennett - Architect (SLHR)

 
 

John Bennett - Architect

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
Our forum facility has been withdrawn by the provider. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are looking for an alternative.

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

 

The row of cottages, at right angles to the High Street, which was demolished in the early 1900s to make way for the current premises

Southwold Museum P1466.

Click image to enlarge

The shop and adjacent family house built by James Winter after demolishing the row of cottages. Photo dates from 1900s, soon after completion.

Courtesy of Shirley L Fulcher, granddaughter of James Charles Winter

Click image to enlarge