The terrace of five three-storey houses called Cumberland Terrace was established with that name before the road itself was built and named. What would become the road was then just a track skirting the east side of the Church land and mainly referred to as Church Green until about 1911 when it was adopted by the Town Council and took the name of the existing terrace. At the same time, the present access to Salisbury road was created - until then a cul-de-sac.
We understand that Cumberland Terrace was originally an industrial building where fishing nets were produced and tanned and which was connected with the rope walks to its north and west. Nos 17, 18 and 19 were converted into homes in about 1880 by building an entirely new set of front elevations on the west side. Two similar homes - Nos 15 and 16 - were added to the north of the terrace at the same time. Traces of the original flint-faced factory front wall may still be seen inside some of the houses. The name 'Church Green' now refers only to the small patch of grass at the south end of Cumberland Road.
Cumberland Road looking from the Primary School towards Field Stile Road
The five 3-storey properties that make up Cumberland Terrace